- Upon arrival at my shop, unsplit apple logs are immediately coated twice with endgrain sealer and stored, out of the sunlight and wind, on a bed of riverstones.
- Electric chainsaws and grinders with various attachments are used to remove waste, until roughly the final bowl thickness is attained.
- Over several months the bowl is carefully dried to below 14% humidity, when the final shaping and sanding, through 10 different grit sizes, can begin. (See Video).
- Between the fine shaping and sanding stages defects in the wood are repaired with epoxy resin, with or without fillers, but always with a dash of colour in the mix.
- After final sanding the bowl is finished with 3 coats of Walnut Oil.